The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Monday, January 26, 2009

Cracked Pot, Proverbs 26


"Smooth talk from an evil heart is like glaze on cracked pottery."

Proverbs 26:23


I don't personally know any evil people. I'm sure we come across evil people every day and we may never be aware. I recently thought of an encounter I had with an executive that was kind of creepy. This guy was from Russia and seemed to be an oil executive of sorts. I was called in to make a presenation with some other executives from other companies (a huge round table). This guy was the lead and he had offices in Houston and New York (I read his card) and seemed to be taking "pot shots" at my discussion.

I answered the man's questions, but it just seemed he was more interested in attacking my experience than looking for a way to work together. My position was that this group called me, I was already busy. I was here to help if they saw a way for me do do so. I had worked on a few projects like theirs and they needed a solution to bring their global membership together and open lines of communication and prove the association's value to its members.

As I readied to leave, he got up close to me and he looked at my lapel pen that was on my suit and he asked me what it was. I told him it was a "United States Marine Corps" lapel pin and that I was a former United States Marine. He looked me in the eye and said "Is that so?" and "I said yes sir!" He said nothing else and just stared at me and I left the room.

I never heard from him, but I did get an e-mail from one of the team members thanking me for my presentation. She seemed apologetic for her senior member. I just brushed it off.

I don't know if the guy was evil or not, but he did give me the creeps.


"Hit Him" by Dr. E.V. Hill, Promise Keepers 1993

Proverbs 26:24-26 - "Your enemy shakes hands and greets you like an old friend, all the while conniving against you. When he speaks warmly to you, don't believe him for a minute; he's just waiting for the chance to rip you off. No matter how cunningly he conceals his malice, eventually his evil will be exposed in public."

Not everyone is your friend. Americans are very friendly, we make friends fast; however, we should be on guard. My first instinct is to trust and be friends with everyone, but I have learned that, that can be a mistake. You can even find someone who seems to be "Godly" and find that they have some growing up to do before you can really engage them properly. Some people you do have to keep at a distance and those few close friends, should be welcomed with open arms and gladness.

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: