The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Saturday, January 10, 2009

1.9.09 Arrogant Scoffer, Proverbs 9


"If you reason with an arrogant cynic, you'll get slapped in the face; confront bad behavior and get a kick in the shins."

Proverbs 9:7


Have you been around cynics or scoffers? I found a quote on-line that read somethig like this, "Arrogance is a medicine that dulls the pain of one's ignorance." It is usually called an ego or super ego.

I really don't know that many people that are what I would consider arrogant, but recently ran into a guy who made a judgment about me that he couldn't shake. I tried to explain my oversight, but it only came after several e-mails back and forth (the guy did not want to talk on the phone). So after a few kicks in the shins, that matter was resolved and I have learned my lesson and will make sure I know who I am dealing with before I present an opportunity or an idea.

It is hard not to be selfish. Our psychological muscles are trained to preserve our own interests over others. Our egos drive the day. How do we train ourselves to focus on others; especially, when all they care about is themselves? Jesus did an incredible thing for us. He gave of himself to the point that it cost him his own life. The most dangerous prayer according to Rick Warren, Pastor of Saddleback Church and author of "The Purpose Driven" life is "God use me!"

When God uses you, you will find mockers, arrogant people, and fools that you must contend with, but it doesn't make you better than them. Do good anyway!


"Give Your Life Away"

Proverbs 9:8 - "So don't waste your time on a scoffer; all you'll get for your pains is abuse."

My tendency is to want to confront scoffers. I just want to tell them "You don't know me and you don't know my relationship with God!" Whenever I detect a cynic, I avoid them like the plague. Scoffers can come from family members, friends, business associates, neighbors, etc.

Find a core group of people you know and trust and nurture those relationships. A real friend is someone you can call 24/7 and they will take your call and want to know how they can help. Better, be that friend to others. Your close friends will help you to deal with the "flakes" and the "naysayers" that come along. Remember, they don't know you and they don't know your relationship with God.

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: