The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Sunday, January 11, 2009

1.11.09 Commerce, Proverbs 11 (The Message Translation)


"God hates cheating in the marketplace; he loves it when business is aboveboard."

Proverbs 11:1


"I've got my mind on my money and my money on my mind" - Snoop Dog

My pastor says there are more that 2,000 verses in the bible that talk about money. It is a hot topic. We are emotionally tied to our money. If you don't believe me, try thinking of a life without it. I have worked with the homeless and they have been stripped of everything, their home, their pride, their self-confidence, and their money.. A recovering homeless person is an amazing person. It is great to see their lives restored and a faith that is sold out for God and his glory.

Money is a tool and we are constantly thinking of ways to make it and keep it. The bible is very educational about how to handle money, how to give, and sound business practices for those who are more interested in having a wholesome life over one that is focused on material possessions. Are there rich Christians? You bet. God blesses his people for his purposes.

He clearly wants Christian business and all business people to be above board.


"Shindler's List" ("I could of done more.")

Proverbs 11:26 - "Curses on those who drive a hard bargain! Blessings on all who play fair and square!"

Are you a generous person or are you tight? I avoid "stingy" people and would rather work with a generous person and try to be generous myself. For example, my yardman has been cutting my yard for over 10 years. When he gave me a quote, he told me he would edge, cut, and bag my grass for $25 (I have a really big yard, over 8,000 sqft).

Well, I added up the cost for me to do it in time, maintenaince, fuel, rest I needed, and the loss of income I would not have by not being available to do what I do best. His price was a bargain. I told him I appreciated his offer, but I would like to pay him $40. He was very happy to accept my offer and I was very happy to give it.

I have overpaid him by about $5,000 over the years (just added it up). I have been happy with his service and have seen him pick up 5 of my neighbors yards. He has also served them reliably over the years. I have met his family enjoy when he comes over to cut our yard (fresh and new). I love doing yard work my way, I just write a check and it is done. It feels great to be a blessing to others. Is it time to give your yard man a raise?

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: