The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Wore Out, Proverbs 23


"Do not wear yourself out to get rich, have the wisdom to show restraint."

Proverbs 23:4

The new American dream is to own one's business. There are many reasons why someone would want to own a business - independence, financial security, fulfill a spiritual calling, advance the kingdom, a passion of creating something truly remarkable, new positive relationships, and recognition for one's accomplishment. Business startups are at an all time high in America.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with desiring to be rich (unless that goal has become a God), although it is often talked down upon in religious circles. I've never seen a church send back a big check from a tither because he made too much money. In fact, if we took a poll I believe the numbers would skew very high for making more money, if asked "Would you like to make more money?" many would answer "yes!"

The bible says that God is the giver of wealth for his purposes. Yes there are evil people with money as there are good people with money. If our goal is to be rich (and not everyone really wants to work to be rich) then we must use restraint. Why wear yourself out? If God is calling you to be wealthy, then pursue his direction, advice, and counsel - pray for guidance. If your desire is to be rich at all costs, then it may very well cost you all you hold dear, then what have you gained?


"Are you stressed out?"

Proverbs 23:23- "Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding."

What are you willing to pay for wisdom, discipline and understanding? I get calls from new clients who are interested in having me advise them on their business. After a brief chat, I first advise them to do their due diligence on my company to see if they think they I can help them.

That advice may seen like a barrier to some. I think it is a wise investment on their part that should help them to glean my work and determine if my company has the capability to serve them or help them achieve their goals. If they won't do that, then it really tells me a lot about the client and it frees up my time to work on projects that are of interest to me. After the potential client reviews my capabilities and they believe I can help them, then we meet. That meeting comes with a price tag. The price of the meeting tells me whether the client is serious about their business and if they value my hard work invested in learning the things I have learned about in Marketing.

As I have written in the past, wisdom and understanding comes with a cost. Are you making investments in it or are you too busy (mis-priortized time is a cost)?

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: