The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Saturday, December 13, 2008

12.12.08 The Counsel, Proverbs 12


"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge; but he who hates correction is stupid."

Proverbs 12:1

"Thirst for Knowledge" Portrait Unknown Artist

Discipline is hard. At first, it shocks, it may hurt, it may humble - then revelation. It is an amazing thing to be transitioned from mediocrity to elevated awareness and ultimately status. Our walk with the Lord is a series of discipline and he only disciplines the ones he loves; so, if you are getting a "life whipping", take heart things are changing for the better for you.

I cracked the oil pan to my 1985 BMW this week. This was the 3rd time in 3 years. I was devastated. The repair on a BMW oil pan costs $1150. This time I was lucky and didn't break any engine mounts (which would have added to the cost).

My Ultimate Driving Machine rides low to the ground (performance suspension, nice and tight) and the streets in Houston are wavy and bumpy. It was my own fault for driving a little too quickly while crossing the railroad tracks. I was rushing a client to a live a radio show after their appearance on a live TV show (we were in a hurry). I have learned to handle adversity with grace, the client never knew about my own situation (although I was doing all I could to contain myself). We made it to the station on time and I had enough engine power to get to the parking lot without an overheating problem or the engine locking up (the silver lining).

I could have done without this problem, but in the problem, I found opportunity. It drew me closer to God and I could hear him better. I think the situation gave me more power over the enemy. A derailed setback, actually became fodder to push forward, realization that God was still in control. I had messed up, but the facts didn't matter, God was moving me forward.

A buddy gave me a ride to an important meeting that I would have missed. It taught my wife and I once again, that we could bounce back from adversity and enter a new realm of faith (we now have a solution to the oil pan problem and our mechanic has suggested a buffer plate be installed).


"One Way Jesus" by United

Proverbs 12:3 - "A prudent man keeps his knowledge to himself, but the heart of fools blurts out folly."

I am a blabber. I am working hard to control my tongue. I am zealous and excited about what I see God doing and he has given me access to some incredible opportunties that require that I share them with many to gain the momentum that needs to happen on most of them. However, given the dynamics of my world, there is opportunity to share information that may actually "short circuit" an opportunity. Self-interested people could actually steal the idea or alert someone prematurely and have them withdraw their support, etc. In my world, timing and trust is everything.

So, knowing what to say and what not to say is a delicate balance. Fortunately, trusted partners makes it easier to share information with each other. Our tendency is to blurt out what we know, when we may need to hold back for the right moment. A little information here, a little there, and before you know it, you have got the attention of the people you want and then an idea can flourish and bless many people.

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: