The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Monday, December 15, 2008

An Apt Reply, Proverbs 15


"A man finds joy in giving an apt reply and how good is a timely word."

Proverbs 15:23


An apt reply resonates in our soul. An apt reply is a thoughtful reply that appeals to our greater selves, it inspires, it captures our imagination, it commands our attention. We should give thought to our replies. I have a few thank you letters to send to a few special people. There is so much I want to say to them and my thank you letter sent in the mail will be more valuable than one sent by e-mail. Who can you write today?


Drill Instructor Interview SSGT Curtis Osbourne

Proverbs 15:31 - "He who listens to a life giving rebuke will be at home among the wise."

The Marines taught me to be confident in front of my peers and when speaking to superiors. In the Marines, integrity is what measured trust. Confidence was demonstrated by one's bearing and a Marine could spot nervousness a mile off. That discipline came with much shouting and persecution. The Marine Drill Instructor is a rare breed. For a season, nothing a recruit did was correct.

The drill instructor tore down new recruits until they realized that discipline in purpose and confidence in one's ability was earned. The world of the Marine was a place of honor and respect. We rarely get a life giving rebuke in our daily activities. People are afraid to speak up and let people go on their way making the same mistakes.

I enjoy teaching kids and there are often opportunities to give them life giving rebukes and many will try to challenge authority only to find resistance that they may not have encountered at home.

In my business, I must advise clients, fellow adults. Many times, they may not hear what I am saying to them and I have to be creative in how I get their attention. We need people who speak truth in our lives and I have learned to garner the attention and respect of my clients when a "life giving rebuke" is necessary. I have also been on the receiving end of a "rebuke" from them, but together we work towards a solution that will reward our efforts. We need people who know us really well and are confident in sharing their observations to help us stay on course.

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: