The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Monday, November 24, 2008

The Kiss,Proverbs 24


"An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips."

Proverbs 24:26
My young girls are enamored with the "Kissing Process." They claim to be experts at 8 and 5 and know all about it. They want to see the "kissing scenes" in the movies when we tell them to close their eyes. We see them peeking through their fingers as they giggle over the steaminess of what their eyes behold, if only for a glimpse. They see mommy and daddy kiss and they can't stand it. They know we love each other, so they know a kiss is something special. It is very affectionate.

Kisses are personal. Americans are friendly. We shake hands normally, hug, and often provide a kiss on the cheek for close friends. A kiss on the lips is a surprise, usually given for great news, very close friends, life saving information, or an incredible change in the outcome of a situation provided by a trusted friend or advisor. It can be unexpected and when done, surprise a friend or close associate.

How open are you to an "honest answer"? If you really care about someone and honest answer is like a "kiss". A special moment, a special word from someone who needs to hear it. Frankness is more curt, it lakes love, compassion, and sincerity to be honest. How do you balance an "honest answer" from "frankness"? Sometimes a tough answer is needed in a situation, those are easier to give. An honest answer takes thought and more difficult to give.


"Rescue" by the Seabirds

Proverbs 24:11 - "Rescue those being being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter."

A 9-1-1 call is an emergency. "Gunman has two hostages." SWAT is called to the rescue. You and I don't really have anyone to rescue? Or do we? As we survey the world, the internet brings us stories of atrocities. It seems that there is something we can do. That takes a personal commitment, like a kiss. We see starvation, disease, drug abuse, abortion, and violence and we may wish there is something that we can do.

I was at the red light the other day and a formerly homeless guy was collecting money for the drug interdiction charity that helped him. I didn't have any money in my wallet, but did have a few sandwich bags with $1.50 in change (that I use for tolls) when I am on the beltway. Well, I rolled down the window and gave him a bag of change. He was very thankful. Then I felt prompted by the Lord and gave him two more (all that I had). As I thought about this verse, it reminded me that, that little contribution would be helpful in the overall battle or at least it reminded me that I must be prepared to give my all in the battle.

Now, I don't advocate giving money to the homeless directly. They need to find their way to the many shelters who are trained and equipped to give them permanent help. The drug rehab charities are doing a great work and many of the homeless shelters would value direct help.

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: