The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Tender Warrior, Proverbs 21

Iraq: Major Mark Bieger with deceased child (killed by terrorist bomber) photo by Michael Yon

I remember reading "Tender Warrior" by Stu Weber and "Point Man" by Steve Ferrar. Their books explain how men (like warriors) need to be on guard for their families and others in their circle of influence. I like the idea of a "Tender Warrior" and "Point Man", a dependable merciless defender and a skilled combatant that is capable of compassion when the moment calls for it.

My family and I went to see "Fireproof" (www.FireproofTheMovie.com), an excellent movie about the raging battle against marriage and the family. The theme "Never leave your partner behind" is a powerful encouragement to those going through their own personal battles. I enjoyed this old video by Carman, "Revival in the Land".


"Revival in the Land" by Carman

Proverbs 21:2 - "To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice."

My daughter and I watched a movie the other night, "A Conversation with God" (based on a true story). It is about a formerly homeless man (he became homeless due to a broken neck) who discovers God and writes a book about his experience and how God intervened in his life. At one point, he refused to eat food from the dumpster. His hunger got the best of him and he finally broke down to eat a half-eaten hamburger that had been kept in plastic box (as though just for him). He cried as he ate it, a mixed blessing. He enjoyed the flavor of the burger and but was emotional because of the depth he had sunken. To make matters worse, a kid was watching him. However, he had completely let go of his pride and just savored his find.

This reminded me of a time when I was young teenager. I was 16 and worked at a Whataburger in Austin, as a night shift manager. A homeless man came in and wanted to know what time we threw out our food waste. I asked him why he wanted to know and he told me that is when he gets the food from the dumpster. It was the first time I had really encountered the poor and the Lord struck me to show compassion for the man. I told him "Sir, I won't let you eat our waste, but I will buy you a meal." I wasn't expecting it, but he got tearful and very thankful. I enjoyed watching him eat his hamburger with onion rings and a drink. We bonded, although we never saw each other again. It is one of my prouder moments (I had forgotten about it until the movie).

I haven't told my daughter this story, but want to share it with her one day. Do you have an example of a doing something right? Is there something that needs to be done today? You may forget about it, but God won't.

Proverbs 21:21 - "He who pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor."

I spent some time in Marines as previously posted. Entering that world was a shock. It is a culture of meritocracy, a strict understanding of its history and sacrifice.

The Marines really focus on honor, duty, and integrity and they don't mess around. I have seen young men go to prison for failing to adhere to the Uniform Military Code of Justice or suffer severe penalties for their failures. However, I have seen Marines meritorously promoted, awarded, and rewarded for their self-sacrifice. In the corps, a Marine's honor is everything.

You don't have to be a Marine to pursue righteousness. We hear that word so often, but what does it really mean in our daily lives? Are we pursuing righteousness or are we just letting the days fly by?

Proverbs 21:31 - "The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord."

Throughout military history there have been forces that have been defeated by inferior numbers with inferior equipment. Sun Tzu wrote the book "The Art of War" and he explains many scenarious of why this happens and how to avoid it. Life is a battle, but our victory is assured. I think we are to prepare for battle daily, but we must seek the advice and counsel of the Supreme Commander (that is what the Marine Chaplains call God). Is your horse (figuratively speaking) ready for battle?

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: