The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Thursday, October 2, 2008

10.2.08 The Treasure, Proverbs 2


Have you and I been chasing after fool's gold? In our culture time is a premium and we are bombarded with messages that distract us from being grounded in truth and knowledge. That is what makes wisdom so valuable.

The "Wisdom Challenge" requires us to slow down and seek it out. The more I learn about wisdom, the more I am encouraged that it should be ranked high on our list of "must have" and "must do". My friend Gordon tells me that he has been reading "Proverbs" for years and it should be required reading, as it has to do with the essence of being a man.

Before bedtime last night, I read a few verses of Proverbs 1 to my daughter Kayla (8). Before I read to her, I asked her if she knew what wisdom was and why we should study it. I was really blessed by her answer and the thought process that lead to her interest. Children have an understanding about them that is so simple. I wasn't expecting such a reflective reply.

We wound up reading most of chapter 1 together and she just seemed to soak in the verses. I look forward to reading some of chapter 2 with her tonight. I like the idea of "Wisdom Kids" (creating a program to teach kids wisdom applications at an early age). Gordon (my mentor) is coming over today and one of the things we will be talking about is the creation of a resource to help parents teach their kids about Proverbs.

Proverbs tells us that we should teach our kids early in the path that they should go. I am struggling to connect with my daughters in the early years and hope that they will be a joy to my heart. I have been around long enough to know that it doesn't always work out that way.

Here are few excerpts that I found interesting this morning.

Proverbs 2:4 - ". . . and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God."

In our culture silver or gold is as close to us as a drive to the mall (but to get it, you have to pay for it). There is much effort required (depending on the amount of gold you seek). Hidden treasure is a more difficult and requires even greater effort. In the verse before, we are to "call out for insight" and "cry aloud for understanding". I think it is pretty clear that wisdom and knowledge is a work out. "No pain, no gain". What are some of the ways that you work to get wisdom that have been effective?

Proverbs 2:- "He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless."

A blameless walk. Jesus said "Who among you are without sin?" I don't know if my walk is blameless. I am thankful that he takes away my sin every day when I ask for forgiveness. Each day is a new slate, yet we are still human and we fail. The victory comes from the Lord and if we are seeking his protection and guidance, he is a shield. What do you do to ensure a blameless walk?

Proverbs 2: - "For the upright will live in the land, and the blameless will remain in it"

Our treasure is our life, our family, our community, our health, our future, our relationships, etc. The abundant life should be an ever increasing life that is building in value in every area. Think about the areas that need fortifying and seek knowledge to shore them up. Recenlty, I have undertaken improvements in nutrition for my family, organized the home (one project at a time), committed to reading more, reaching out to family members and friends, investments in my family, and more. What one thing can you do today that will give you the rest you need, the inspiration or make a lasting impact on your future?

Here are the three basic ingredients you and I have been given to impact the kingdom: Your talent, your treasure, and your time. Need ideas? Then visit: www.KingdomAssignment.com (buy one or all of these books).

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: