The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Friday, October 24, 2008

10.23.08 Remembering "The Root", Proverbs 23

Photo by Bill Foley, Associated Press

I did not realize that today was the 25th anniversary of the Marine barracks bombing in Beirut, Lebanon (October 23, 1983). I was 18 when I got the news that a friend, Timothy McMahon, a Marine, was among the 241 service men who were killed on that fateful day. That day changed my life and my focus. In memory of him, I joined the Marines in 1988 and have had many honor filled moments that have inspired me.

This year, the mastermind of the bombing was killed and brought to justice by the "Global War on Terror". Thank you President Bush!

My prayers go out to his family and the other families. These brave heroes gave their lives for our country and our freedom. Today, there are many more on the front lines, serving. Hope you enjoy this video "Letters from War".


"Letters from War" by Mark Schultz

You can e-mail a member of the Armed Forces by contacting www.eMailOurMilitary.com

Proverbs 23:12 - "Apply your heart to instruction, and your ears to words of knowledge."

Do you love to learn new things? Science is proving that an active mind stays sharp and seekers live longer. If you don't use it, you lose it. The love of learning is incredible. A variety of interests helps to further this pursuit.

You can learn a lot about a person, by the way he or she thinks. I enjoy being around other learners, people who are curious.

Proverbs 23:17 - "Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the Lord."

Do you envy sinners? It is so easy to do. My goal is to be in the "zone", seeking what God wants me to do and to not lean on my own understanding. The zone I speak of is the prayer zone, the faith, zone and the miracle zone, the life giving source that gives meaning to the direction of life in service to the Kingdom. When we envy, I think we miss the opportunity to discover and understand that many have yet to tap into their calling. Many have refused to seek and secure their spiritual future. The joy they know today, will be their only joy. There is a limit to all of our days on Earth and in the end it gets down to the treasures we have built in Heaven.

I thank God often, that I have been set free from traps that were controlling my life. Can you think of traps that you have been set free from, that might have consumed your life?

Proverbs 23:25 - "May your father and mother be glad; may she who gave you birth rejoice."

I received an e-mail from one of my cousins today. His son just joined the Navy and they are very proud of his decision to enlist. It must be an incredible joy to raise a son or daughter who decides to serve in the military. I can think of no greater calling for a citizen. The bible has many accolodes for those who serve and I believe veterans harbor a flavor for the country and its history that few will ever know.

I am very thankful to have one of my parents still alive and my wife's parents who have continued to believe in us. As they get older, we are looking to their care. I guess it is the circle of life, we must look to the needs of our parents and be the children that this verse talks about. I hope I have had moments where my father and mother have rejoiced. Who knows? I know I gave them grief.

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: