The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

10.14.08 The Mighty Fortress, Proverbs 14

"He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress, . . ."
Proverbs 14:26


The Fortress "Masada" in the Judean Desert (read the story at the link)

The story of "Masada" was a battle cry to the Jewish people and intrigues scholars to this day. The Jewish Zealots denied their Roman attackers the victory they were seeking.

Today, our fortress is secure. We can walk into it each day with thanksgiving. We are shielded by our protector no matter how magnificent our challenges may be. God hears our prayers and watches over us. I love this song below. Hope it speaks to you.

A fortress is a planned endeavor. Every detail meticulously provided. Our God is a mighty fortress.

"A Mighty Fortress is Our God" by Crosspoint Church, Katy, TX Worship Team

Proverbs 14:8 - "The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways, but the folly of fools is deception."

I am learning to think before I act in all matters. My impulse is to act - "Make it happen!" This verse tells us to stop and analyze, pause and reflect. To tell you the truth, I am worn out. Wisdom replenishes the soul and reflection offers hope for the future in real terms. Take time to "give thought" to your ways. What do you hear God telling you about his way?

Proverbs 14:10 - "Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy."

Have you ever been frustrated to the point of bitterness? We all have our breaking point and when we break, it hurts us to our very core. I remember losing an opporunity in the Marine Corps to become an officer. I wanted to fly Cobras and everything seemed to be going my way.

I was being recognized and meritoriously promoted, attending one of the best colleges in the country (Tulane University), volunteering for many high profile duties in the Corps (i.e. Auxiliary Security Force, Color Guard, Taylor's Kids, Toys for Tots, etc.), First Class physical fitness tests, and working hard to be my best (my uniform was perfect each and every day). One afternoon I was notified by my Commanding Officer that I had been accepted into an elite program that would make my dreams happen. That announcement was followed up in print in the Navy Times. There it was. My name on the official list of those who were accepted.

Sadly, shortly after I received an official notice that I had been cut from the program, with no real explanation (I met all of the qualifications). Out of 350 who had applied nationwide, only 66 were selected for this program (my name was now removed). The news was devasting and I was scared to tell my wife (thinking that she would leave me). We had penned all of our hopes on the great news we had received before and were already making plans to attend Texas A&M University for my last year of College (which would also be paid for by the program).

Has anything like this ever happened to you? It doesn't seem fair and your experience is unique to your circumstance. Therefore, your joy will also be unique to you. I now know that there were many reasons why I didn't get this program and that the Lord had another plan.

Proverbs 14:27 - "The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death."

The Lord makes our lives better if we listen to his direction. Life is great when it is full of activity, new experiences, rest and relaxation, incredible discoveries that have been hidden to us, the joy of children, and the excitement of seeing things come to fruition. A fountain of water is a sight to behold. Now imagine a fountain of life. Look back at your life and look forward to the future. Each day is an incredible opportunity to maximize your opportunities. I think a lot of that comes through prayer. Pray over the day, beg God for wisdom and direction, wait on him, and then let him direct your paths and help you to avoid the snares.

Proverbs 14:30 - "A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones."

Are you at peace? Do you envy others? What does a peaceful heart look like? A peaceful heart can be gained in the midst of the battle. I recently read "On Combat" by Colonel Grossman, a foremost authority on the art, science and history of warriorship. Much has been learned about the physiological and psychological affects of "interpersonal aggression" - the greatest fear of mankind. He has written a book that teaches martial artists, police officers, SWAT members, and our military how to keep a peaceful heart in the midst of battle. In fact, many of the developments of training have centered on keeping the "sheep dog" skills honed to fight the "wolf" by focusing on realism of battle via computer games and realistic training bullets, on tactical breathing, and recognizing the natural affects of "pre and post-traumtic stress". In his analysis, the sheep dog lives to fight the wolf and protect the sheep. The sheep get nervous because the sheep dog looks like the wolf. How do you keep a peacful heart?

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: