The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Friday, October 3, 2008

10.3.08 A Help in Time of Need, Proverbs 3

The American Anole lizard (like the one that was trapped in my window - only younger)

This afternoon it dawned on me to release a lizard that had been trapped between the screen and the window outside of my office. I had seen it there for days, but thought he got himself in there and could probably get himself out. Well today, I didn't see him moving around, so I went to the sill to see if it indeed escaped. He/she had not.

The helpless lizard was at the bottom of the screen sill, between the window and the screen and looked very emaciated. I realized that I had to do something. I pulled out he screen and he scurried to get away from me (I was trying to help). He jumped to the ground and rested near a bush (maybe with the hope of having a second chance at life). I put the screen back on the sill and observed my lizard friend for a few minutes to see what he was going to do. I could see that after his rest (he was breathing very hard), he was on the hunt for nourishment and water. It made me think about how valuable life is and how God meets our needs via the effort of others (sometime, just in time). We all have a unique gift or talent and may not realize the life-giving power we offer to others via our profession or calling. What is easy for us, may be difficult for others.

I was happy for that lizard as I saw him find a drop of water on a leaf and he just seemed to enjoy his find. My little girl Kenna (5) was with me and was very curious about the whole thing. She wanted to hold the lizard and I had to explain to her that we didn't want to interfere with his his pursuit of life at this moment.

These verses stood out ot me today.

Proverbs 3:2 - "Let love and faithfulness never leave you; . . ."

What a great guide for life. Study the people you love, find a way to serve them and be faithful in your pursuits. There are many languages of love. Some are doing good deeds, giving gifts, love by touch, thoughtfulness, sacrifices, etc.

I thought about this today as I made dinner for my wife. For years, she had done this for me and I was anxious to rustle up some "viddles" for her today. As I made dinner, I thought about all of the things she likes (i.e., setting, seasonings, menu, and atmosphere). We had a great dinner with the family and she welcomed the opportunity to rest and relax.

What did we have? Baked breaded and spiced chicken, shredded cabbage and onion, with basil, roman tomato, and italian seasoning, baked and buttered yams, virgin olive oil and spice dipping oil for french crusted bread, and white wine. It was delish (only took me 20 or 30 minutes to put it together). Now to be more faithful in these pursuits.

Proverbs 3:5 - "Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding; . . ."

I am inspired to know, that what I think I know is only the beginning of my understanding and knowledge that God has prepared for me. There is so much more that God has planned for us. Unfortunately, there are way to many "intellectual elites and derelicts" who think they know it all and are stubborn to the understanding and the leading of the knowlege of God and his ways.

Albert Einstein was a Christian. Not many people know that, yet non-believers alike celebrate the genius of this man and fail to acknowledge that even Mr. Einstein, celebrated who God was.

Proverbs 3:7 - "Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil."

"Shun evil". Many people want to understand evil. They make idiotic attempts to justify why evil peoople do evil things, blaming society and religion or some other reason why evil people act the way they do. I love the idea that evil only prospers when good men sit and do nothing. Fortunately, there are good people in the world. Think of some of the ways evil is allowed to thrive in our culture? What can you do about it?

Proverbs 3:9 - "Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the first fruits of all of your crops."

Wealth comes in a variety of forms, just like the crops mentioned in this verse. You can grow thousands of unique crops from wheat, to herbs, to fruits, and vegetables to whole farms of trees, etc. The Lord gives wealth to the wise for his purposes. WE are called to recognize him with our increases.

Proverbs 3:27 - "Do not withold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act."

I have so many debts to settle. It is great to be able to provide that help, the pay back, or the resources one needs (when I really don't owe it). Too often people avoid helping others. We are to be consistently looking for ways to help other people. A great questions, "How can I help you today?" "What is your biggest need and how can I help you?" If you don't have a means to help someone, prayer goes a long way. Let them know that you will be praying for that need on their behalf.

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: