The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Banquet, Proverbs 9

A Banquet Hall Feast

Do you like to cook? I like to cook on special occasions (i.e., birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, etc.). I have select dishes that I enjoy making (usually barbecued brisket, steaks or ribs - what man doesn't?). However, for many years my wife has handled the details of our daily dining. Lately, this "Proverbs Journey" has sparked an interest in the daily preparation of our meals. I am giving my wife a break and she loves it.

I made the most delicious beef stew and fresh vegetables last night. It took all day to crock. I love spices, a variety of tastes, and the thought of something taking all day to cook. The house wafted the smell of something special in the kitchen. In reality, this meal took little effort, but when we dined on it late in the evening, we were both in heaven or so it seemed. Life is good indeed, we thought.

Our children on the other hand resisted the "new" food and complained. Their only option was eat or go to bed (hunger got their attention). They acquiesced and added a little barbecue sauce to the meat and were okay with the meal. Secretly, I think they loved it too!

It is a blessing to a father to be able to feed his family and see them enjoying it. I think it is a blessing to God to have us join him at the banqueting table. He has done all the work and freely invites us to join him.


Proverbs 9:1-3 - "Wisdom has built her house; she has hewn out its seven pillars. She has prepared her meat and mixed her wine; she has also set her table."

Would love your feedback on the "Seven Pillars" mentioned in this verse. It seems that Wisdom is here to serve. Not only has she built her house, but she has prepared the banquet. There are many details to building a home; especially one with seven pillars. Finally, the details of the banquet are specific. The table settings ornate. Imagine the best dinner you have ever had. Where is the best place you have ever eaten?

Proverbs 9:5 - "'Come eat my food and drink the wine I have mixed.'"

We have an open invitation. Are you hungry for wisdom, knowledge, and understanding today? Where will you find it? How will you search? It is laid out before you.

Proverbs 9:11 - "For through me your days will be many, and years will be added to your life."

I know that I have done things in my life that have cost me days, maybe even years of my life. Wisdom promises that days will be added. Modern man has seen its days increased on the earth. Every year we hear that life expectancy is increasing. However, who wants to live longer and feel less satisfied with their life? I have always enjoyed talking to the elderly, those that seem to have a zest for life in their 80's, 90's, and even 100's. We are not guaranteed a specific number of days here. The math is up to God, but he indicates that he is willing and able to add more. Enjoy your extra day today. I pray that we get many more.

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: andy@marketingdynamics.org

No comments: