The Way of the Locust

" . . . locust have no king, yet they advance together in ranks . . ."

Proverbs 30:27

Saturday, February 14, 2009

2.12.09 Airheads, Proverbs 12

"A person who talks sense is honored; airheads are held in contempt."

Proverbs 12:8

There seems to be a lot of talking heads, but people don't seem to be saying anything really important. However, many think they are making sense. It is rampant (myself included). There is an interesting dynamic when God gives wisdom in a matter. It seems to resonate with people. When we listen to God through prayer, we learn something about ourselves and others. Communicate God's love and if necessary use words.

This example happened to our family. I was at evening business meeting when my wife frantically called to tell me the house was flooding in the kitchen. A faucet hose had broken and she didn't know how to shut the water off and she and my girls were panicking. She could get under the sink, but the hot water was too hot to grant her access to the turn knob to shut off the water. When she called me, I really didn't know what to do until I remembered that we have a shutoff valve outside the house that controls the water flow to our entire home. Within minutes, she had the situation under control and the girls (who had been praying) were relieved to have avoided the impending flood and damage to our home (me too).

Here is the real message. The only reason I knew about this valve was because some of the neighbor kids, playing a practical joke had shut off the water years before. After calling the water district, the repairman diagnosed the problem. What we the thought was an evil prank years before helped us to avoid major damage to our entire house. Because I make it a point to answer my wife's call anytime she calls, we were able to stop the damage immediately and fortunately she was home to catch this situation in time. I pray over our home daily and it is amazing to me that God provides answers, years in advance. He said nothing, but we clearly understand how much he loves our family.


"Talking Heads"

Proverbs 12:16 - "Fools have short fuses and explode all too quickly; the prudent quietly shrug off insults."

I have been guilty of having a short fuse. I am a Marine afterall. I have experienced the wrath of a drill instructors who have a short tolerance for mistakes and boneheaded moves. Unfortunately, I developed that habit as well when it came to the mistakes of other people. In the military, the mission mindset is critical. In daily civilian life it may not be so critical. So, I have learned to be a little more gracious and forgive where needed. We should be slow to anger, but we must also realize that it is okay to have a holy anger and moral outrage when it comes to the things that must change.

On Mission, On Assignment, and in the ZONE!

Andy Valadez
e-mail: Andy@TeamMarketingDynamics.com

No comments: